Nov 10, 2009

Open Letter to the Prez.


Dear Mr. President:

I would like to start this letter off by congratulating you on what I believe to be an excellent effort to carry out the duties of your office in the face of some challenging opposition.

The responsibilities involved in being the Commander-in-Chief for the most powerful nation in the world are more than I can imagine. I hope you continue to maintain your energy, optimism and measured decision making skills throughout your term.

I am writing to submit my opinion regarding your policy as it pertains to the conflict in Afghanistan. While I certainly do not claim to possess even a small portion of the understanding you and your administration have for this issue, I do feel compelled, and perhaps even justified, to express my concerns over the continuance and possible escalation of U.S. military involvement there.

Your decision to gradually withdraw U.S. military presence from Iraq could not have been an easy decision, even with the support of many Americans.


It seems to me – and I suspect regular folks like me can never really be certain – to be a decision that has the best interests of Americans, and the world, at heart. However, I can’t help but wonder why the same logic does not apply to the conflict in Afghanistan.

Perhaps this letter serves as less of a comment and more of a question. Why not cease military action in Afghanistan? The resources (both human and monetary) it takes to continue this conflict seem dangerously high. Yet the results seem elusive, and the benefits seem dubious.

I certainly understand that there is a desire to bring Osama Bin Laden to justice for crimes against the U.S. and the world. I’m aware that there are Afghan citizens who will benefit from NATO military involvement in their country. However, it seems clear that, as the Soviets learned, there can be little sound profit in trying to alter what appears to be the immutable political propensity of Afghanistan.

Continued occupation by military forces in Afghanistan seems to only serve as a galvanizing element of mistrust and resentment towards America and other western industrialized nations.

So again, with due humility, I ask: Why aren’t you working to end U.S military involvement in Afghanistan similar to the way you are working to end it in Iraq?
Also, could you have them bring back the Mc Rib?

No comments: